Wednesday, December 29, 2010

I’ve adjusted my batting through experience Nasir Jamshed


  1. Nasir Jamshed, the young Lahore based opening batsman, has stated he is an improved player and is continuing to develop his batting in the ongoing Quaid-e-Azam Trophy playing for the National Bank of Pakistan (NBP) team.
  2. In an exclusive discussion with PakPassion.net, Nasir expressed his satisfaction with the progress of his side, as well as with his own personal performances. He stated "I'm always ready to play for Pakistan whenever the selectors feel the need to call me. I was ill during a few of the early games of this tournament but I'm confident that our team can do well". 
  3. Nasir was also impressed by the performances of pace bowler and fellow NBP teammate Mohammad Talha. "It is important that we have a lot of key players in good form such as Talha who could also find himself back in the international fold if he keeps performing and bowling the way he is".
  4. Nasir, a former U19 World Cup winner, has had an impressive run with the bat in his six games in the domestic tournament, scoring 454 runs at a solid average of 45.40, including one century (120* against Sialkot) and two fifties. 
  5. The left-handed opening batsman has represented Pakistan in 12 ODIs, and was axed from the national side after his most recent international games. Concerns were expressed by onlookers about Nasir's penchant for driving loosely early on in his innings, and thus often edging to the slip fielders. 
  6. It appears that the 21 year old batsman has duly taken the feedback on board, and has curtailed his flashy stroke play in exchange for a slightly more circumspect approach. "I have now made a number of adjustments to my batting", he stated. "For example, I no longer play in the air as much as I used to and have worked on a few new shots. I've also looked to improve my temperament - cricket is a game where you continue to learn as you go". 
  7. After scoring a whirlwind half century against India in the 2008 Asia Cup, Nasir, who was just 18 at the time, suffered major cramps and was forced to retire his innings. "Unfortunately, fitness problems have hindered me in the past; I was often troubled by my hamstring and felt I needed to improve this important aspect. Thanks to training alongside David Dwyer and Saboor Ahmad, I am confident my overall fitness is picking up and will continue to progress".
In the spring of 2010, Nasir Jamshed found himself making the headlines for all the wrong reasons. Allegedly caught ‘red handed’, he was arrested for cheating on an English exam paper and later released on bail. He remains adamant that the events were blown out of proportion and feels that the accusations had no serious bearing on his performances. "The media blew up the situation about cheating entirely; it wasn’t a major issue but was exaggerated by the reporters. I considered it a stressful episode for me to go through at that time but, thankfully, it didn't really affect my cricket".
  1. Despite the controversy, Nasir continues to maintain an optimistic outlook on his chances to make the national team and represent Pakistan at the highest level once again. "We usually practice at the NCA and A-team cricket helps you a great deal. You play with senior internationals and can always learn from them. If you perform, it's good for your morale and you can realistically think about getting [back] into the Pakistan team".
  2. Nasir was also pleased with the crowds who turned up to the recently concluded Twenty20 tournament in Pakistan. The trophy was lifted by the Lahore Lions who secured a last over win over the Karachi Dolphins in the final. Nasir himself had set a blistering platform with a 57-ball 68, helping his team score a mammoth 221, and thus going on to win the game. 
  3. Organised at the venue of the chilling attacks on the Sri Lankan side in 2009, masses of supporters piled into the Gadaffi Stadium in Lahore – giving the floodlit match a tremendous atmosphere – to watch a classic final between Lahore and Karachi. "The Faysal Bank T20 tournament was a very good experience", Nasir reflects. "The crowd in the final was great. I didn’t feel any extra pressure playing in front of so many people as I’ve experienced it in the past too, in fact I was happy that they came to watch. Even though Pakistan don’t play much at home, it’s good for the fans that they can view some form of cricket and get happiness from it".

0 comments:

Post a Comment